Dynamics 365 Upgrade – Entity doesn’t contain attribute with Name = ‘fullname’.

Update – This appears to be fixed in Service Update 5 for 8.2.0

Today I upgraded a Dynamics CRM 2016 Online Update 1 instance to Dynamics 365. Everything seemed to be going well. However when using Global Search I was getting the error below.

shot1

Query Builder Error – The specified field does not exist in Dynamics 365. If you contact support, please provide the technical details.

Checking the exception, I could see the error was related to an attribute called fullname. The exception was :

Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: 'new_testentity' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname'.Detail:

<OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts">

  <ActivityId>91195997-e676-46e2-ac04-f744482d1431</ActivityId>

  <ErrorCode>-2147217149</ErrorCode>

  <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />

  <Message>'new_testentity' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname'.</Message>

  <Timestamp>2017-02-13T14:14:04.3720628Z</Timestamp>

  <ExceptionSource i:nil="true" />

  <InnerFault i:nil="true" />

  <OriginalException i:nil="true" />

  <TraceText i:nil="true" />

</OrganizationServiceFault>

After some testing, I discovered it was only happening when a single entity type was involved, or showed up in some search results. To verify, I went into Settings -> Administration – > System Settings -> General -> Select Entities for Categorized Search and, sure enough, when I remove my custom entity from the entity search list, searching started working again.

So where did the fullname attribute come from? – it didn’t exist on the entity I removed. I then checked the associated and quick find views for the custom entity I was working with. They both had a column added to display the related contact name – which is where the a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname field name came from.

When I removed that column from the views, republished my solution and did a CTRL F5 to refresh my browser, global search (both categorized and the new relevance search!) started to work again.

I logged this with Microsoft support who informed me that this is a known issue and the ultimate fix will hopefully make it into the next release (March 2017). Looks like it was introduced between CRM Online 2016 Service Update 4 (8.1.0.0538) and Dynamics 365 (8.2.0.737)

Until the next release fixes this issue, use this as a viable workaround.

This entry was posted in Dynamics 365. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dynamics 365 Upgrade – Entity doesn’t contain attribute with Name = ‘fullname’.

  1. Armine DD says:

    Same situation here. It seems an issue with views that include a field from a child entity. So we removed all the view columns with that field and the global search worked. Hope MS resolves the issue soon as we do need this info in the views.

  2. Matt Hughes says:

    This worked for me. I had related entities on the account associated view and quick search view. Removed the related entity fields from the views and global search worked. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s